History

Company History

The CARBOCHIM enterprise was established as a state enterprise on May 1, 1949 under the name ELECTROCARBON pursuant to the provisions of Decree No. 33 of February 2, 1949 for the organization of the Ministry of Industry with Decision 1397 of April 23, 1949.

The enterprise entered into partial operation starting with May 1951, with the Silicon Carbide Plant, and in October of the same year, with the Grinding Wheels Plant. At the beginning of 1952, the Electrodes Plant was put into operation.

The main manufacturing object, for which the enterprise was established, consisted in the production of:

• abrasive grains: silicon carbide and brown fused alumina

• graphite electrodes

• grinding wheels

• coated abrasives

Starting with 1952, the experiment and industrial-scale manufacturing of various products began:

• In 1952, within the Electrodes Sector, the industrial manufacturing of carbonaceous mass (used for lining the crucibles of blast furnaces) began

• In 1953, the industrial-scale production of graphite electrodes began,

• In 1957 (August) a new Grinding Wheels Plant was put into operation.

The development of the CARBOCHIM company was achieved over time, with several significant moments in the company's evolution, when new plants were built, the manufacturing technology of the existing plants was modernized and licenses were obtained from foreign partners for the manufacture of certain qualitatively superior products:

1973 – the new plant of Coated Abrasives was established based on NORTON technology - France

1978 – the Electrocorundum Plant was modernized and re-engineered based on the China license

1979 – the Grinding Wheels Plant was expanded and re-engineered based on the Tyrolit license - Austria.

1991 – the Electrocorundum Plant began to improve by producing the white fused alumina product, reducing exports by 70%.

1992- a research and improvement process of manufacturing technologies for products such as ceramic and bakelite grinding wheels, cut-off and deburring wheels, was initiated, in order to achieve the quality parameters imposed by the requirements of European standards.

1996 – the Electrocorundum Plant was closed, being highly polluting and with a very high energy consumption

1999- The company was included in the Privatization Program initiated by the Romanian Government, being fully privatized starting with July 15, 1999

2000- a new stage of research and technological development of coated abrasives products

2001- development of a new production capacity within the Coated Abrasives Plant for the manufacture of the cloth backing necessary for the production process.

2002- 2020

• the process of re-engineering began, by purchasing new equipment or modernizing existing ones, in order to increase labor productivity and improve working conditions.

• development of specific markets, for new products, developed by R&D, appropriate to the new requirements of the domestic and international market

 

2023 – completion of the process of relocation and re-engineering of the factory, an investment of 5 million euros.